Find Hammond Park’s Dentists Online If You Have a Toothache

It is very important for people to take care of their teeth to keep them healthy. The resulting cavities are a function of tooth decay, which damages the teeth. The decay of teeth develops when foods containing starches and sugars, such as cereals, bread, milk, cake, and fruit, exist on your teeth and are left there. Acid, bacteria, saliva, and food particles all combine to form plaque, which, as you can imagine, sticks to your teeth.

The acids in plaque dissolve tooth enamel and cause tooth decay. If you have a toothache, especially after drinking cold drinks or eating sugary or cold foods, you may have tooth decay. Another sign of tooth decay is visible cavities in the teeth. Your Hammond Park dentist can tell if you have tooth decay by taking an x-ray of your teeth.

Your dentist can remove your cavity by drilling and replacing it with a gold filling or composite resin. Don't worry, the restorative materials used to fill cavities are safe. Allergic reactions to silver amalgam and other restorative materials are extremely rare. Concerns have been raised about the safety of mercury-based silver amalgams, but the FDA supports the safety of this material.

If you have a toothache or notice black chips or stains on your teeth, you should see a dentist immediately. If your tooth decay is very large, you may need a crown. If you need a crown, the decayed part of the tooth is removed and the crown is placed on the tooth. Most often, crowns are made of porcelain, gold, or porcelain fused to metal.

If the decay is causing the nerve of your tooth to die, you will need a root canal treatment. During a root canal procedure, the nerve and decayed part of the tooth is removed, the root is filled, and a crown will be placed over the tooth. Bear in mind that some dentists do not offer root canal treatments, so you will have to find a specialist that does if your cavity is affecting the root of your tooth. A dentist can also refer you to a specialist that offers root canal treatments.